I recently posted about having some trouble getting my mare to respond to the leg. However in the past week or two this has completely changed! To be fair a lot has been happening…
Due to poor weather, and I don’t mean a little rain I mean massive gusts of wind and heavy down pours, means my routine that i have with her has gone slightly out the window. So of course i expect her to have more energy. The weather change has also lead me to buy her a new rug – pfft to think last years one that she survived in would still be wearable… and the new it was so shinny and clean how could I resist !
The times I have been riding are now in the dark using the schools flood lights (absolutely love having a yard with these, not having them would mean my mare would only get ridden at weekends) therefore of course she is extra spooky.
She also has had a half clip and stood wonderfully…. With a nice big wack of sedation in her. 😳
She has also been let out of the “fatties” paddock and merged with the rest of the grass liveries. (Her best friend does not approve of me taking her in and riding her.. Story to follow in next post)
And the final change is that I have added pink power into her feed.
Ok as i said, lot has been going on and to put it straight she don’t like change. Therefore my mare is wired to the moon and back twitchy.
To try and get her to concentrate when i ride, i have been lunging before hand. This i believe has helped, as i am beginning to wonder if she is very slightly cold backed especially with the drop in temperature and the clip. When i haven’t lunged she has just tried to explode underneath me to which i tried desperately to calm her down. However when i lunge i don’t get any explosion but i get a pretty awesome off the leg forward moving trot. So for the mean time I’m going to keep doing it.
Yesterday I rode in daylight for the first time in ages due to me being busy for the past few weekends. As i was the only one using the school i took full advantage.
<< The red represents jumps and the black lines represent the path i was following. The jumps were bounces not doubles.
The idea behind this exercise is to ensure correct lead changes and also for my mare in-particular not to over jump.
I started with one set of set up as a pole then a small jump, and the other set set up as two small half block bounces to ensure my I had correctly set out the striding for the jumps. I then put them all up to top block height focused on her getting it right at that height then to finish I removed the first jump of one set and put the second jump of that set up to about 95cm. So that she had to think about which set she was coming in to.
She did very well and I gave her a good bath (which although she has had countless baths before, this time we had a bit of a fight about having water on her despite it being nice warm water from the heating *sigh* still full of energy after a big work out) and a dry in the solarium with a nice big haynet after as a reward. Even then she was still full of energy… and very protective about her hay.